Sunday 22 August 2010

Some getting used to


I’m not much of a jewellery person. In fact, I’m not much of an accessories person either. My general rule of style is ‘less is more’, unless of course I’m faced with an item of clothing that has to be adorned with jewels and gems and the kitchen sink. What was it that Coco Chanel famously said? Always take off the last thing you put on? Yes, something to that extent. I applaud you Mademoiselle Coco. You’re damn right.


Perhaps my weariness of over-doing-it stems from the days when I wanted to be a ‘sk8r chic’ and Avril Lavigne was my style icon. Thankfully that phase lasted only a short while during the holidays one summer. I look back through the photos of 2002 and cringe at the multiple ear piercings and jelly bangles I thought looked cool.


Anyway, back to my main point. Now, in 2010, I’m not much of a jewellery person. I wear the same pieces day in day out because they a) mean something to me – like the necklaces and earings I was given for my 21st, b) they’re simple and I like them – thus complying with Coco’s principles of style and fashion, c) I just don’t suit being overloaded and weighed down by it all. Or maybe I’m boring?


Mmm.


Except, if I think about it and look at my jewellery stand, I actually have quite a lot of the stuff lying around. Necklaces, earings, bangles and bracelets, even headbands. But the one thing that appears to be missing is a sever lack of rings. Sure, I still have my Pocahontas mood ring my BFF got me for my 7th birthday, but other than that my poor fingers must be feeling left out. Sooooo…the other day I bought a ring. A lovely little silver charm ring – it has a star hanging off of it. It’s cute. I like it. It’s just going to take some getting used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment